Cart is empty
The Anamorphic Adapter is NOW SHIPPING. Orders will be processed and delivered on a first-come-first-serve basis. These are built in-house so turn around time can vary. Please allow a few days before shipment. Contact us if you have any delivery questions.
The Letus Anamorph-X adapter allows the conversion of spherical prime and zoom lenses into anamorphic format. This adapter is the first of its kind in the industry. This adapter converts the image without compromising quality. The Letus anamorphic adapter creates a beautiful, oval bokeh that is unique to anamorphic lenses and elegant flares without image color aberration.
- Lens Coating: Medium Flare Single Coated (produces an anmorphic flare that is easily controlled)
- Include a Matte Box: Yes (114mm clamp on mattebox designed specifically for the AnamorphX field of view)
- Include a QickSnap Lens Support: Yes (allows mounting of anamorphic lens to support rods)
- Include a Snap-on Filter Tray: Yes (allows for use of 4x5.6 filter glass. Requires mattebox option)
- Lens Adapter Ring: 114mm (the default clamp size on the back of the adapter designed for use with Cinema lenses)
- Additional Lens Adapter Ring: Your choice. Good for stepping down lens to SLR type lenses.
- 1.33x squeeze, which will work with all current crop of 16:9 cameras, bringing it to a standard 2.39:1
- Works with current prime and zoom lenses
- Custom optical components
- High resolution
- 0.8 mod pitch gear for critical focus
- Both Multi and Single coated for superior image quality with elegant flare.
- CNC aluminum housing
- Mounting solution for 114mm outside diameter lens like Zeiss CP* and adapting ring for smaller lens like 77mm, 82mm, etc.
- Can be mounted to standard 15mm support rods instead of directly to lens
- 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 mounting points
- Made ready with matte box (Optional)
- Patent pending clip on 2-stage filter (Optional)
- 2-Stage filter accepts 4x5.6 glass (4x4 will fit but can vignette due to anamorphic squeeze)
- Will work with 30mm - 135mm focal length lenses for full frame sensors and 15mm - 135mm focal lengths for super35 and smaller sensors (for a full compatibility click on the FAQ tab above)
- News Shooters: http://www.newsshooter.com
- Clinton's Blog: http://www.clintonharn.com
- Hien's (lead designer) interview at IBC: http://vimeo.com/74563100
- Film Riot's overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHqzkaysEUU
What is anamorphic format?
Anamorphic format refers to the cinematography technique of shooting a widescreen picture on standard 35 mm film or other visual recording media with a non-widescreen native aspect ratio. Learn more about ANAMORPHIC FORMAT here and here.
Where can I rent one?
We are currently working with rental houses world wide to stock the AnamorphX. If there is a local rental house you like to work with, please heve them contact us for adapter availabilty. Rental houses carrying the AnamorphX will be listed below as they are added.
Weight: 3 lbs
What camera does the AnamorphX work with?
- Virtually any camera will work. The AnamorphX attaches to the front of an exisitng lens. If you can attach it to a camera lens, you are good to go. It is not limited to a specicfic camera, sensor size, lens brand, or focal lenght. It is made to be as universal as possible.
How wide of a lens can be used with the Letus AnamorphX?
- Full frame sensor - 30mm
- Super35 sensor (APS-C such as C100/3000) - 18mm
- Micro 4/3 sensor (BMCC, GH2/3, etc) - Tested up to15mm on the BMCC
What size of image sensors work with the Letus AnamorphX?
- Any size image sensor will work
Will the AnamorphX work with 4K+ Cameras?
- The AnamorphX will physically work with any resolution. Results will be highly dependent on the lens between the AnamorphX and the camera. At those resolutions, high quality optics are key. The AnamorphX may produce a slightly softer, more organic image but that would be the only side effect. It is important to use the highest quality lens between the AnamorphX and camera though for best results at 4K+
What is the front diameter of the AnamorphX Adapter?
- 114mm, it is the same as a Zeiss CP lenses.
Can the AnamorphX be supported with another third party supports?
- The adapter has a 1/4-20 female thread so third party solutions that can adapt to that, should work fine. A lens support designed for round lenses should also work.
How does each level of lens coating affect my image quality?
- There is no difference in image quality with the different levels of lens coating. The coating only effects the amount of flare you will have.
What are the different levels of lens flare?
- High Flare Single Coated 2
- Medium Flare Single Coated
- Low Flare Multi Coated
How to setup the AnamorphX adapter.
- Point to distant object (infinity) and focus with camera's lens
- Attach the adapter onto your camera's lens. Dial the adapter toward the far focus setting (right, negative markings) to get the best focus on the object. At this point you will not likely get critical focus, just get as close as you can.
- Re-focus with camera's lens, you should now be able to acheive critical focus.
- Focus on a near object (around 5-6 feet). Focus as best as you can with your camera's lens, it is possible that at this point you will be able to get critical focus without changing the adapter setting. However, if you can not get critical focus with just the camera's lens, dial the adapter toward the near focus slightly to get critical focus. Note this marking on the adapter, it is the the setting for the Mid to Far setting for your adapter with this lens. You may want to repeat and record this process with all your lenses for quick reference and setup.
- Close-up focus. Once the object is closer than 5-6 feet, you will find that you need to adjust the adapter settings again. Just repeat step 4 by adjusting with both the camera's lens and the AnamorphX.
Video shot using the AnamorphX: